The District Lockup

Governors Bay Heritage - The District Lockup

The District Lockup, 1877, on the Governors Bay-Teddington Road near the corner of Bamfords Road.

This is the only remaining building from a police station erected there.

The lockup containing two cells (one more secure than the other) and part of a larger police complex, were used for runaways from ships, prisoners coming in from the peninsula, and local trouble makers and drunks.

The lockup has a complete layer of steel between the inner and outer walls making escape unlikely.


Contact name
David Bundy